This post is part of our ‘Fertility Family series’, which will feature a different Fertility Friend who takes a topic once a month. It’s like our “employee of the month” but less “of the employee”. 🙂 Louise is an amazing Fertility therapist who specialise in Maya Massage.
What is Maya Massage?
If you have an interest in improving your fertility, you may have heard of Maya Massage. So what is it? Is it just a belly rub? No, it’s far more than that. The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy™ are founded on the ancient Mayan technique of abdominal massage which is an external non invasive manipulation that repositions internal organs that have shifted, thereby restricting the flow of blood, lymph, nerve and Qi.
The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy™ address position and health of the pelvic and abdominal organs. The work is best known for the correction of the prolapsed, fallen, or tilted uterus and for relief of many common digestive disorders.
When reproductive organs shift, they can constrict normal flow of blood and lymph, and disrupt nerve connections. Just a few extra ounces sitting on blood and lymph vessels can cause havoc throughout the different systems in the body. By shifting the uterus back into place, homeostasis, or the natural balance of the body, is restored in the pelvic area and the surrounding organs. Toxins are flushed and nutrients that help to tone tissue and balance hormones are restored to normal order. This is essential for healthy pregnancy, labour, and delivery.
Who can it help?
The uterus is a women’s centre, and if it is out of balance, she will be physically, emotionally and spiritually out of balance. A displaced uterus is more common that you might think, and can cause many symptoms. A patient with a displaced uterus may say she has one or some of the following symptoms; painful periods, dark blood at the beginning and at the end, spotting before or after the period, blood clots during menses, PMT, dizziness with menses, painful ovulation, Irregular menstrual cycles and ovulation, Bladder or yeast infections, Miscarriages, Difficult pregnancies, Endometriosis, Infertility, Ovarian cysts or Uterine fibroids.
Abdominal Massage for the reproductive and digestive organs is a therapeutic treatment that has been known and practiced for thousands of years, by healers in Central America. These techniques represent an unbroken chain of knowledge handed down from generation to generation of midwives, healers and shamans. The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy support the body’s natural healing capacity, removing congestion and blockages to assist the vital flow of fluids and energy to nourish and repair the organs and systems naturally. Maya Abdominal Massage is also healing and normalising to all digestive organs. It improves digestion, assimilation and elimination dramatically.
What to expect in a session
• Comprehensive review of your personal health history and current health care needs.
• Abdominal massage focused on aligning reproductive and abdominal organs
• Evaluation and application of structural alignment of spine with attention to the sacrum, lumbar and thoracic spine.
• Instruction in Self Care Home techniques to enhance your professional treatment session
• After a treatment you may notice changes in menses, discharge, bowel movements, or urination.
Are the techniques recommended for all women?
Almost every woman, even those who have had hysterectomies can benefit greatly from the Arvigo Techniques through improved circulation, lymphatic drainage and a decrease in the formation of scar tissue.
However, direct application over the uterus is not performed:
• During menstrual bleeding
• Within the first 6 weeks following a normal vaginal delivery or the first 3 months after a c-section
• For a woman using an IUD for birth control
• If cancer is present or suspected anywhere in the pelvis, or undergoing chemotherapy for this condition
• During the first trimester of pregnancy
• Immediately after abdominal surgery